Thursday 29 November 2012

Art Quilting 101 4-Part Tutorial By Pamela Kellogg of Kitty and Me Designs

I have been in love with crazy quilting creations for quite some time and was finally able to take a class on it in June. Well, of course, I fell even more in love with it (if that's possible) during the class. Now all I can think about is crazy quilting creations.

I know I've said this a million times before, but if you want to learn something learn it from the experts. Well, Pamela Kellogg, is definitely a well respected and recognized expert on crazy quilting, creative embroidery, silk ribbon embroidery (SRE), and cross-stitch. Her creations over the year just astonish me. I just love going to her blog and Etsy shop for the beautiful eye candy that you find there. So, you can imagine how pleased I was to see that she had a 4-part tutorial on her Kitty & Me Designs blog teaching you about art quilting. I hope you enjoy Pam's tutorials as much as I did.

Here's what Pamela had to say about her tutorial:  Part 1 - Since I'll be starting to post my Art Quilting 101 tutorial next week, I thought I would take a few moments to give you a supply list and a few suggestions for embellishments.

Part 2 - In this post, I will show you how to layer the background. Please keep in mind that this is only one way of making an art quilt. The possibilities are endless but for anyone who would like to try Art Quilting and has no clue where to begin, this tutorial should help you.

For beginners, it's best to start with a theme and color scheme. Choose a vintage photo either on paper or on fabric. I printed my little girl on fabric and then chose elements that coordinated with the photo colors:

Part 3 - Now that you have your art quilt all layered and sewn together, it's time to start embellishing it. This can be a bit overwhelming at first. I'm sure you're wondering where to start. First let me say, that you have to let go of how you think it should be and allow it to be what it becomes! That is very important with art of any type. Try not to stress over it! Just go with it and let be what it wants to be.

Part 4 - This is the final part of how to finish an art quilt. Of course, you can do it however you want to. I just thought I'd offer you one way to do it if you've never made an art quilt before.


Please respect Pamela's TERMS OF USE:  I like to share Craft and Embroidery Tutorials on how I do a variety of projects and techniques and helpful hints. I add to this list regularly. Please feel free to download the directions and if you try them, please let me know if you enjoyed the project!

Pamela's Bio:Designer, Textile Artist and Instructor. Although I love all forms of needlework and embroidery, my true passion is Crazy Quilting. I enjoy a quiet life in our little cottage by a lake in Northern Illinois. I frequent flea markets and antique shops looking for do-dads that I can sew on to my stitching projects. I offer some of my handmade items, along with my mom's and my sister's, in my Etsy shop. I enjoy baking and share many of my recipes here. And did I mention glitter?

Copyright © 2005 - 2012 - All Rights Reserved - Pamela Kellogg of Kitty & Me Designs .

Please visit her Kitty & Me Designs blog at http://kittyandmedesigns.blogspot.com/ and her Kitty & Me Designs Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/kittyandme.



No comments:

Post a Comment